Click on a garden name to bring it to the top of the page.
Cobham Hall is a grand 17th century country house that is now an independent boarding and day school for girls. It lies within 150 acres of magnificent Grade II* registered parkland designed by the landscape gardener, Humphry Repton (1752-1818). He worked there for twenty years from 1790. The parkland has undergone restoration and shows how Repton introduced subtle details and views, contrasting with the grand panoramas of his contemporary, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown. There is a range of listed garden structures, including the Grade II ‘Repton's Seat’ and later garden additions, including 20th century formal features by the designer William Goldring.
Court Lodge’s landscape comprises historic, designed gardens, pleasure grounds and parkland which have evolved and expanded since the mid-18th century under successive generations of one family. A former Manor house (listed grade II) which is of 13th century origins, rebuilt and enlarged during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The gardens and parkland were extended in the 19th century when two interconnected walled kitchen gardens were built. The pleasure grounds were extended with ornamental planting and a surviving rockery which evidence suggests was built by nationally known Pulham and Sons. A 9-hole golf course was laid out in the late 19th century in the parkland, one of the earliest in Kent. Siegfried Sassoon was a frequent golfer in the 1920s and more recently Dennis Thatcher when he and his wife, Margaret Thatcher, maintained a flat in the house in the 1970s. Research report:
Dodddington Place is an imposing Victorian mansion set within 10 acres of 18th century parkland with many fine trees. There are notable areas of woodland containing a variety of rhododendrons and azaleas, an Edwardian rock garden under restoration, a sunken garden with herbaceous borders, and a flint and brick folly.