Click on a garden name to bring it to the top of the page.
The Officers' Terrace is within Chatham Historic Dockyard which is now a visitor attraction run by Chatham Historic Dockyard. For more than four centuries the Dockyard was one of Britain's most important centres of warship building and repair. The elegant Georgian Officers' Terrace was built in 1723-33 to house the most senior ranks of the Royal Navy. The terrace remains a parade of family houses, each with its separate walled gardens. The Officers' Terrace and its gardens is not open to the public, but the Commissioner's Garden is open if visiting the Dockyard.
Penshurst Place gardens are amongst the oldest in England with records dating from 1346. There are 48 acres of grounds with 11 acres of formal walled gardens. Originally laid out in 1580, it has kept remarkably true to its original design. One mile of yew hedging divides the garden into a series of rooms, each with its own seasonal colour. Some have a contemporary design such as a union-flag design planted with red and white roses and lavender. Other gardens include an Italianate garden with a formal parterre, a rose garden and a nuttery. The historic gardens continue to evolve, illustrated by the recent Jubilee Walk project, a 72 metre double herbaceous border planted to a design by RHS gold medal winner, George Carter. The project has been described as a renaissance of the double herbaceous border with a 21st century look. The design includes a traditional feature at Penshurst, the planting of apple trees, which were supplied by the national fruit collection at Brogdale.
An early 20th century formal terraced garden laid out for Sir Philip Sassoon by the architect Philip Tilden, with planting by Norah Lindsay and later Russell Page. The Grade II* registered site comprises around 14 acres of formal gardens set within 42 acres of woodland. Elaborate terracing and an impressive Italian Renaissance-style stairway overlook Romney Marsh and the sea. Surrounded by 600 acres of wild animal park.