Click on a garden name to bring it to the top of the page.
Belmont is a fine late 18th century house built in the neo-classical style by the architect, Samuel Wyatt. It stands in a beautiful park with many splendid veteran trees, including a Liriodendron tulipifera planted in 1769. The large, walled kitchen-garden, with its beautiful Victorian greenhouses, has been restored to a design by the renowned garden designer, Arabella Lennox-Boyd. The kitchen garden contains figs, hops, and soft fruits, together with traditional varieties of apple and pear. A pinetum, shell grotto, rose garden and a rockery remain from the 19th century garden.
Bishopscourt has been the residence of the bishop of Rochester since 1921. It is located on St Margaret’s St about 250 m south of Rochester Cathedral. The house (listed grade ll) was probably built c1500 and some of the listed boundary walls of patterned brick and flint are probably C16 or C17. The house and garden occupy a plot of 0.4 ha. The garden has a large central lawn dominated by two large trees with planting around the outer edge. OS maps show the boundaries and structure of the main garden have not changed since 1870. The lawn slopes gently down to a hedge of yew trees, dividing this upper garden from a lower section. In one corner of the lower garden there is a store with steps up to its flat roof enabling it to be used as a lookout with excellent views over the river Medway and Rochester Castle.
Chartwell was the family home of Winston Churchill and is now preserved by the National Trust. Churchill developed the garden and small parkland from the 1920s onwards, and lived there until his death in 1965. The hillside gardens reflect Churchill's love of the landscape and nature. They include the lakes he created, the brick walls he built, Lady Churchill's rose garden, and a kitchen garden.