Historic Gardens

Squerryes Court, Westerham


Picture of Squerryes Court The house is a fine ( Grade 1 listed) William and Mary style manor house. The site was occupied by the de Squerie family in the 13thC passing through many hands until purchased by Sir Nicholas Crisp in 1680 who built the present house. His son sold it to the Edward Villiers, Earl of Jersey, who is thought to have developed the extensive formal gardens illustrated in the Badeslade engraving in Harris’History of Kent,1719. In the 18thC and 19thC the grounds were landscaped into rolling vistas with much of the formal gardens lost. The current owners, the Warde family, are continuing a programme of restoration which is returning much of the east gardens to their original form.


www.parksandgardens.org/places/squerryes-court

The Salutation, Sandwich


Picture of The Salutation The Grade I listed manor house designed by the architect Edwin Lutyens at the turn of the 20th century stands in 300 acres of ornamental gardens, also designed by Lutyens, with planting attributed to Gertrude Jekyll. After suffering years of total neglect, the garden has been restored to its former glory by the present owners. Old stone walls surround the garden and a series of garden rooms enclosed by clipped yew hedging reveal a mix of exuberant long borders and traditional planting, reflecting earlier 20th century and contemporary design.


www.the-secretgardens.co.uk/secret-gardens

Vinters Park, Maidstone


In the late 18th century the industrialist, James Whatman, extensively developed the medieval park in the English Landscape style. He engaged the renowned landscape gardener, Humphry Repton (1752-1818), who completed one of his famous 'red books' about the site. In the mid-19th century, Whatman's grandson, also James, made further improvements to the landscaped garden: many exotic trees and shrubs were planted, and he created a large kitchen garden. A Victorian barrel bridge and old rockery can still be viewed. The site of the early 19th century house (destroyed by fire in the 1950s) still exists, together with surrounding ha-ha walls, the remains of steps and footpaths leading to a 19th century lake, an avenue of lime trees and an ice house. Vinters Park is now managed as a nature reserve and both the barrel bridge and the ice-house are managed as bat hibernation sites.


vintersvalley.co.uk